Monday, July 23, 2012

More Than Worth the Wait


It's been a while since I've blogged ... have been busy getting everything finished up personally and professionally in anticipation of our little one!! She was 14 days late and even then had to be encouraged to make an appearance...but she is finally here!!

Vela Carina Sitzes (pronounced Vay-lah) was born July 21st at 12:05 am.  8 lbs 7oz, healthy as can be and just beautiful.  I'd made a playlist for her birth, and when she was born Ingrid Michaelson's "I can't help falling in love with you" was playing...and I just broke down upon meeting her.  We never found out the sex so there was no way to know for sure---but I had secretly thought it was her all along.

You see, her name has a very special story behind it.  My name "Giana" came to my own mother in a dream well before she was ever pregnant.  So when she did have a baby girl years later, she used the name.  My mother passed away 5 years after I was born, but I have always known the story of where my name came from.

The summer after Eric and I got married, I woke up in the middle of the night with the name "Vela" stuck in my head like glue.  I'd never heard it before but loved it and couldn't help but think that maybe it was a message from my own mom? A name for a child down the road perhaps...

Then some months later I thought to google the name Vela.  One of the first couple hits was a Wikipedia description...it made my heart stop.

(from the Wikipedia definition)
Vela is a constellation in the southern sky. Its name is Latin for the sails of a ship, and it was originally part of a larger constellation, the ship Argo Navis, which was later divided into three parts, the others being Carina and Puppis.

Carina was my mothers name.

I know in my heart my mom was whispering in my ear that night 2 years ago.  It's magical to now have Vela home with us.  She is without a doubt the most amazing blessing Eric and I have ever received, and I cherish the fact that we will some day get to share this story with her.  

It may be a bit before I blog again...gonna spend some time with the prettiest baby in the world...but everyone asks where her name came from so thought this might be one way to get the story out there.  Also---I think a nice reminder for anyone who has lost a loved one...that they are never truely gone...always there, watching over us...and occasionally even whispering to us in our sleep.

2 comments:

nicole said...

Congratulations! Beautiful name and adorable baby! :)

Lauren said...

Wow, what a beautiful baby and such a sweet story behind her name! Congratulations!

Post a Comment